Featured Strategy: What’s New at Conference this Year?
It is hard to believe that CMAA’s 90th World Conference on Club Management and Club Business Expo is almost here! Being held February 7-11, in Orlando, this is an event that you won’t want to miss. We want to take this opportunity to highlight some new features and events that are incorporated into Conference this year:
- In-Conference Workshop. The CMAA Professional Development Committee and the Board of Directors approved a new concept for World Conference called an “In-Conference Workshop.” This workshop will be a combination of sessions held on February 11 that focus on Human and Professional Resources. There is no additional charge for this workshop beyond your regular Conference registration. Simply attend all of the sessions designated as the workshop and it will count as a CMI workshop towards your Certified Club Manager (CCM) eligibility requirements.
- There will be a new pocket map: Last year, CMAA debuted its Conference app that replaced Education Cards filled out after every Education session. The app also allows you to access the session materials and speaker information, browse maps of Orlando as well as the hotel and convention center, message other Conference attendees and browse the list of exhibitors at the 2017 Club Business Expo. With the addition of the app, there is no longer a need to print the on-site spiral bound brochures with duplicate information. The pocket map will be a useful resource that is not bulky for you to use to navigate around the Club Business Expo.
- Sessions at Clubhouse Live. Hear from industry experts in short 15 minute bites in the Clubhouse Live segment of the Club Business Expo. Presentations will begin shortly after the show opens each morning and continue every half hour throughout the day.
Topics cross each competency area and will include:
- Cloud Computing
- Food & Beverage Trends
- Lightning Safety
- Secret Shopping
- Leasing or Buying Equipment
- H-2B Visas
- Social Media
We hope you are as excited as we are about these new additions to Conference this year. We can’t wait to see you in Orlando!
Chapter Management Resources
All Chapter Officers: All Officers: All Officers: If your chapter’s name appears below, we still do not have your Chapter Officer/Chairman Report Form. Please fill out the form at your earliest convenience.
Missing forms: Alabama, Central New York, City of New York, Connecticut, Dogwood, Greater Baltimore, Greater Michigan, Inland Empire, Iowa Tall Corn, Mid-America, National Capital, New York State, Oklahoma-Kansas, Paradise of the Pacific, Pelican, Texas Lone Star, Toledo, Utah, Tennessee Volunteer
Managing Directors: Thank you for following up with members who have yet to renew their 2017 national memberships. Those who did not renew have been dropped from the National Roster. Please remind members that they are able to automatically reinstate their membership simply by paying their 2017 dues.
Career Services Chairman: Encourage your members to take advantage of the complimentary Career Services offered at World Conference:
• Résumé Critique and LinkedIn Profile Review: Complimentary résumé critique or LinkedIn profile review, by CMAA’s professional résumé writer, Michelle Riklan of Riklan Resources.
• Coaching Sessions: Complimentary, face-to-face, coaching session with one of CMAA’s coaches, Kevin MacDonald or Shelley MacDougall of Clarity Success Coaching.
• Job Boards: Whether to fill a position at your club or to seeks a new position, utilize the complimentary job boards to post and search all levels of positions, from General Manager to Intern.
• Career Opportunities and Mentoring Showcase: Network with students seeking employment opportunities. This is great way to fill summer internship openings and entry level positions.
• Staff Assistance and Additional Services: CMAA’s National staff will be available on-site to assist with any questions you may have about the CMAA’s Career Services programs and resources.
Please contact Karen Woodie at (703) 739-9500 with any questions.
Club Foundation Liaison: As you know, the Auction is an important way for us to raise money for Scholarships and Education. We would love to see 100 percent participation from each Chapter this year! To inspire your creativity, we’ve come up with a theme for this year’s auction: Nerds, Sports Fans, Master Chefs and Designers!
With this theme, we’re looking for donations in the categories of Electronics (Nerds), Sporting Goods (Sports Fans), Kitchen (Master Chefs) and Club/Home Furnishings (Designers). Here is the auction donation form which has a lot of ideas to inspire your thinking and participation.
Legislative Chairman: Published weekly, the Legislative Report blog will provide you and your chapter members with the latest news and information regarding pending and enacted federal laws and regulations that will affect your club. timely information on federal and state legislation and regulations and state trends as well as the myriad issues affecting the private club industry. Fully searchable, this resource should be your first stop for any information regarding legal, tax or legislative club-specific issues. Bookmark this helpful resource.
Membership Chairman: In 2016, CMAA recruited 683 new members! Thank you for all of your hard work. Let’s try to make 2017 even more successful! Don’t forget to tell prospective members about the Step Membership Program. All new and rejoining members pay $500 for their first year of national dues. The dues structure along with other useful information can be found at www.cmaa.org/join.
Professional Development Chairman: Be prepared for your upcoming chapter meeting with our Talking Points for CMAA University. Complimentary CMI Credits on the system are now detailed in this video. If you would like more information or a tour on how the system can help you and your fellow chapter members, please contact Sarah Bal.
Public Relations Chairman: CMAA knows our members, their clubs and their chapters are doing great things and we want to hear from you. Add CMAA to your e-mail distribution list via firstname.lastname@example.org. This easily shares your information with all of CMAA’s publications, including Club Management magazine.
Student Chapter Liaison: Connect with your student chapter members at World Conference! If you haven’t already, make a plan to network with your students by inviting them to lunch, dinner or a senior chapter event. Also, touch base with them in advance to make sure they’re prepared with attire, résumés, business cards and their Club of the Future entries are ready to go!
Wine Society Representative: Time is running out—don’t forget to purchase your tickets for the 29th Annual Wine Society Dinner! Seating is limited for this amazing event which will be held at Interlachen Country Club, Friday, February 10. Also, make sure your donations for the Annual Wine Auction are submitted by January 23, 2017 to be eligible for shipping reimbursement. The Wine Society looks forward to seeing you in Orlando and we hope you will make time in your schedule to join us throughout the week!
AK-SAR-BEN Chapter Represented During Nebraska Golf Day Proclamation
NGCSA President-Elect Justin McNaughton, with representatives from fellow allied associations, and AK-SAR-BEN Chapter Managing Director Katy Boggs accepted the Nebraska Golf Day Proclamation from Nebraska's Lt. Governor, Mike Foley.
The Chapter was featured during a ceremony where November 21 was proclaimed as Nebraska Golf Day at the Nebraska State Capitol.
We want to hear what your Chapter is doing! Recently hold a fundraiser? Exciting event? Share your Chapter good news via e-mail to email@example.com and you could be featured in an upcoming edition!
Chapter Digest header features the 2015 Idea Fair for Chapters in Alexandria, VA.